Friday 31 March 2017

Dublin Beauty

This is quick finish to meet (almost) a deadline - mini quilt for the Irish exhibition for the EQA Challenge 2017 to be shown at the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham. The general theme is "Inspired by... block" and each member country was given a traditional block to be inspired by, thus, the Irish theme is "Inspired by the New York Beauty Block". I thought about circle and semi-circles and it wasn't long before I thought of this:


We do see a lot of those beauties here. So this was what I made:


It's a small thing, 25 by 35 cm, but it did require quite a lot of pieces. It was the first time I used the no-tear paper piecing method I had hear a lot about, and it worked great. Here is the video I used for guidance, can highly recommend this to anybody doing a paper piecing project.

As the image is very busy, the quilting had to be simple: curves in a rainbow thread, a little bit of grey rain in the bottom corner and a little bit of sunshine in the top corner.



Just have to show the backing fabric as well - it seems just too appropriate )))


Linking up to Off the Wall Friday ay Creations by Nina-Marie
TGIFF at Celtic Thistle Stitches
Finished or not Friday at busy Hands Quilts
Show off Saturday at Sew Can She

11 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful quilt! And knowing how small it is makes it even more lovely. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a clever and beautiful interpretation of this quilt block

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful piecing and quilting, so pretty. I love the yellow thread for sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful blend of color from strip to strip. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Pretty, and oh-my-goodness - that's a lot of small piecing for that size. It turned out so nice, with your triangle arcs flat and happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a brilliant interpretation of the theme, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there! I just came across this quilt on Pinterest and love it! Did you use a pattern? Or are the triangles all the same sizes and then made into arcs when sewn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I drew the pattern on paper and just used it once, and you can do the same. Each arc is assembled separately using paper piecing, you can draw the lines whatever way you want. Then the arcs are stitched together like you would any curved pieces. Hope it helps.

      Just to let you know, your comment came up as "no-reply blogger", otherwise I would be happy to answer you personally.

      Delete
    2. This definitely helps! I was hoping to do this at a bigger scale, so I'll have to do some big paper but I'm excited to try it. Thank you so much for responding!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...