Friday 15 September 2017

CMYK quilt

Back to school - back to basics. I started the new season by assembling my tie-dye samples turned quilting samples into a little wallhanging.


It reminds me of printing swatches of the four colours used in most printing jobs - Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Key (meaning black).

I wrote previously about my quilting practice on tie-dye pieces here and here, so I won't go into separate pieces again. I don't really like UFOs sitting around, so I decided to put them together the quilt-as-you-go method without any particular aim in sight.


Going by the smallest piece I started trimming the samples 10'' by 10'', until I reached the heart piece, which was a couple of inches wider... Fortunately the ladies from my sewing group practically stopped my hand in midair and made me find a way to accommodate the heart in full. I still had two pieces that could be trimmed to 10'' by 12'' too, so they formed the middle row.


I think it turned out lively and quirky, not sure if can be classified as modern quilt or anything else, definitely it's an interesting exercise in colour and texture.


Linking up to Off the Wall Friday at Creations by Nina-Marie
Free Motion Mavericks at Lizzy Lenard Vintage Sewing
Finished or Not Friday at Busy Hands Quilts

4 comments:

  1. Great to see your work completed! It's beautiful. I like the swirl and bubble one. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that your sewing group stopped you from trimming the heart and you found two other pieces of similar size. The quilting is so beautiful. A lovely finish and I love the name CMYK :)

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Olena,

    Fabulous sampler! It's surprising how well practice pieces can look when put together. I love the way the quilting corresponds with the pattern of the dye.

    Thank you for linking up with Free Motion Mavericks. Your hanging is this week's featured project!

    Love, Muv

    ReplyDelete
  4. How great that you were able to make something so pretty from all your samples! I'm glad the heart remained intact :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...