Thursday 18 May 2017

Hands Across the Border Exhibition - Aurora

This Tuesday I attended the official opening of the "Hands Across the Border" exhibition organised biannually by the Irish Patchwork Society and the Quilters' Guild of Northern Ireland. This year's theme is "Aurora" and it proved to be a great theme with multiple possible interpretations and really strong visual impact.


The room is large and well-lit, but there are only two walls available for hanging quilts, so they are a bit crammed together. The  opening was a very nice affair, with opening speeches by Ruth Bourke of Charlie and Ben's Crafty Corner, our chairperson,  and Leo Enright, space journalist and writer, wine and party food, but mostly lots of talking and discussing and just catching up.


I took loads of photos of quilts, but it's impossible to fit them all here, so just some:







And some close-ups, I'm afraid the names of the authors are not really visible, and haven't got a catalogue, so apologies for leaving them nameless:


Lovely batiks and really inventive border treatment here.


This goes to show how far a simple straight line quilting can take you!


Not shows well in this photo, but it really shines with Angelina fibres.


Fabulous texture and colour in this beauty.


This one is called "Sunrise, sunset" and I love love the clever difference between the two parts.


 Lovely hand-dyed fabric here and nice sense of motion.

And last, me with my "Dance of the Goddess":


I'm going there again on Monday, so I might take some better pictures to share and make Part 2.

Linking up to Off the Wall Friday at Creations by Nina-Marie

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your lovely pics. All the quilts are nice but yours is still my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the photos Lena! I love how colourful and vibrant our display is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many beautiful quilts! Yours is my favorite, though :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...