Friday 9 June 2017

We and I

We are all unique and different from each other, yet we often have to run in the same direction and do  as we are told - or do we?


Maybe sometimes we have to look around and ask ourselves if "we" is really more important than "I" and if what everybody does if really the right thing to do.


Those were the thoughts I tried to render in this piece, which - from sketch to sleeve - took over a year to complete. You can have a look at the previous stages here and here. This post is about the quilting and finishing.


As you can see, each horse got his or her own quilting pattern, to stress their individuality in addition to the different fabrics used. I used my beloved YLI variegated thread for some of them, and plain cotton for others. As most of the fabrics are patterned, the quilting don't show very well, but that's OK because the texture of the manes makes the quilt look very busy.


The felted manes are inserted into the seams of the top and then stitched down in some places to create the feeling of motion. The eyes and nostrils were added to define the faces, yet I kept them very stylised in line with the overall feel.


I didn't want to restrict the horses' motion with a frame, so I chose to face the quilt, letting the manes overhang on the left-hand side. It finished about 93 by 165 cm (36'' by 64'') if I remember right, so you have to take a couple of steps back to take it all in :)).


Linking up to Off the Wall Friday at Creations by Nina-Mary
Finished or not Friday at Busy Hands Quilts
Free Motion Mavericks at Lizzy Lenard Vintage Sewing
Can I get a Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict

14 comments:

  1. Hi Olena,
    Wowee - this is just lovely. I love the different quilting pattern on each horse. I certainly does it's job to highlight each horse and set them apart. By the way, the links to your previous articles do not work. ~smile~
    Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it...especially when you come upon the horse looking in the opposite direction...so clever and takes one by surprise...Your quilting is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok...that is beautiful on so many levels. I have enjoyed watching your design process on this quilt. The fact you took the time to do different patterns on each horse and I love the manes. A totally fantastic piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The movement you manage to impart to this piece is amazing, the flying manes add so much. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous and stunning! I love how you've quilted the horses.
    Pinned

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, yes! You've completely captured both being part of the herd, and breaking away as an individual. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That turned out brilliant! Beautiful finish - congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is such a fabulous quilt! Not only the piecing and the quilting are gorgeous, I really love what it represents as well. Well done!!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Olena,

    Fabulous in every way! I love the concept behind the picture so much I want to talk to that horse.

    Thank you for linking up with Free Motion Mavericks. Your quilt is this week's featured project.

    Love, Muv

    ReplyDelete
  10. The texture is amazing! Thanks for linking to Finished or Not Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! Such an original idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Olena! This is amazing art quilt! I love your idea for this quilt, horeses are so beautiful and the felted manes are just perfect! Fantastic! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Teje! It was experimental and I'm glad it worked out. You come up as a noreply blogger, so I couldn't answer you directly.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...