Friday 29 September 2017

A Binary Opposition

I've got a question for you that's sure to split people in two camps:



This is my entry for a challenge themed "Binary" (meaning you can use only two colours of fabric in your quilt). I wanted to make it binary not just in colours, but also in the subject and chose this familiar opposition.

I made a sketch and then played with it in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop:


But although I like the cup mandalas, I decided against using them in the quilt, just printed out the letter outlines to make the appliqué. I used freezer paper to make templates and bondaweb to attach the appliqué.


 Then I added borders, assembled the sandwich and got out embroidery floss and needle ... and didn't take any more photos until it was complete :))). The letters are stitched down by hand with whip stitch (with the slanted part on the back).


And then I decided to add a "simple pattern" of stylised tea leaves and coffee beans around the border, and of course that took forever. All the stitching is done through all the layers, so it doubles as quilting. The background was filled with the running stitch. Good thing it's just a mini, 23'' by 16''.


It's been a very long time since I did any embroidery at all, and I have never done any like this, so that's a new experience for me and I'm thrilled with how it turned out.


Now back to machine work, I'm feeling the seasonal mood and want to make an autumn quilt before it's all over. I'm all set up with my pattern:


And a pile of fabric:


... will keep you up to date on this one.

Linking up to
Off the Wall Friday at Creations by Nina-Marie
Can I get a Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a fabric Addict
Show Off Saturday at Sew Can She

12 comments:

  1. WOW! This is amazing, I love the letters so much and your designs are so fun. The mandala looked really cool, I can see why you chose not to use it here but perhaps it would work for something else? Your stitching is beautiful and it's a fabulous mini!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice embroidery, it really sets adds to the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I love the embroidery too!! I love the palette of this and I can see where that kind of stitching would be very fulfilling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a beautiful design and I really love the embroidery. I love both tea AND coffee :)

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very clever design with the letters forming cups--and beautifully and skillfully executed. I am impressed with the amount of hand stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! And all stitched by hand-- very impressive! I love the colors you chose, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it, Olena! The embroidered leaves are so pretty, and teal and brown together are a great combination. I choose coffee, myself :) I'm also really looking forward to seeing what you do with this new leaf design.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You SHOULD be thrilled with how it turned out. It's awesome! I bet it was fun embroidering through those layers. I love to embroider, but I haven't tried that. I think every single thing about this is perfect. That's blue ribbon worthy for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it...its a great idea...

    Have a nice day.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this coloue combo! Great!! I won't be in Cork and I forgot to bring to the last meeting. So mine will be staying home!Enjoy if you are going!!.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this coloue combo! Great!! I won't be in Cork and I forgot to bring to the last meeting. So mine will be staying home!Enjoy if you are going!!.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh it is absolutely beautiful. 'Love the design and colors. That alphabet is perfect as well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...